Monday, February 11, 2008

Blogging ~ Hot to pick a HOT topic for YOU!


Okay...Right up front I'm compelled to share one of the strange things that I love about blogging... it's done on a keyboard!!! When people talk about 'journaling' I cringe because my handwriting is so illegible that even I have to struggle to read it at times...

which makes me really mad cause I'm one of those who not only found myself in daily Palmer penmanship classes with NUNS in the late 50's/early 60's... making those d*mned circles and lines that are supposed to slant a very specific direction on a piece of paper at a very specific angle... add to that I'm a natural lefty and you might understand why I have a few 'issues' with penmanship! LOL (The nuns told me to sit on my left hand... I told them they better consult God about that since 'she' made me this way...end of conversation!)

So, now that I've confessed this I can share with you that I LOVE blogging because I LOVE using a keyboard... it gives me the freedom to write legibly while pretending to play the piano! (Another thing a nun tried to teach me... unsuccessfully, though I have the music in my soul. ;-))

Today I want to talk about 'blog topics' because if you're interested in making money with your blog your topic will have an impact. If you're like me and you simply experience joy in using the keyboard then you might be okay with blogging on a topic that doesn't fully float your cork but is very profitable.

There are several schools of thought -- some bloggers suggest you can only write a blog well if you are truly passionate about the subject. Others claim that if you want to make a lot of money with blogs then you need to create blogs centered around profitable topics.

In other words... topics with a lot of potential traffic. Makes sense?

Personally... I imagine the ideal is something that combines the two. So the slightly less than ideal might be a compromise. After all, if you have absolutely no interest in the subject matter, blogging on a topic will soon feel like drudgery and that will come through in your writing. It's a very unattractive energy that I'd avoid. So obviously it might benefit you to find a topic that is both potentially PROFITABLE and ENJOYABLE... that's a combination bound to win the gold.

Having said that... I do know that anyone can start a blog based on a hot topic they have little interest in if their inspiration to make money is powerful and they are willing to do the necessary research needed to produce fresh, quality content. (And they do little, if any writing themselves... we'll talk about that later)

After all... the hotter your topic the faster it will pull traffic... and lots of traffic = $$$

This means you need to do 4 things --

  • Find hot topics or niches with a lot of traffic potential (what are people talking about?)
  • Constantly add quality, fresh content to your blog
  • Get lots of free traffic to your blog from word-of-mouth and search engines
  • Monetize the resulting traffic
Simple enough. Here's a partial list of hot topics you might choose from:

Cars
- Buying
- Insurance
- Loans
- Repair
- Audio Systems
- Car Rims

Dating
- Internet Dating
- Dating Advice
- Attraction
- Seduction

Dogs
- Breeding
- Grooming
- Ownership

Finance
- Student Loans
- Grants
- Home Mortgage/Loans

Food

Gardening

Gambling/Online
- Gaming
- Poker/Texas Hold'Em Home

Remodeling

Home Business Ideas

Interior Design

Medicine
- Alternative Medicine
- Homeopathic Medicine Travel

Las Vegas

Vacation
- Family Vacations
- Hotels Video Games

Weddings
- Dresses
- Planning
- Invitations

Naturally, this is not a comprehensive list. You might want to do some exploring online to find out what people are talking about, asking questions about, interested in learning about. One idea is to go check the list of top lenses in each category over at Squidoo.com. They are typically top because so many people are interested in their topic.

Remember... their are many blogs out there that outrank websites with the same topic and competing for the same keywords just because blogs can consistently deliver fresh, quality content! And CONTENT is KING!

That's it for now... see you in a few days! ;-)
I appreciate you...

--Mary K

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* Light

EXPECT MIRACLES!

No comments: