Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Driving Myspace Traffic with Your URL

Myspace currently has 212,702,823 member pages. WOW. That's a lot of people. Now of course some of those pages are not being used, and some of them are just spam pages, but that is a lot of pages no matter what way you cut it. That also means there are a lot of people available for you to meet.

Like the search engines Myspace has a search function. It's located in the toolbar that Mary K showed you yesterday. It will allow you to search a number of different options, keywords, usernames, real names and is a great way to find people.

I want to talk about how people will find you. Your URL, or the tag at the end of your myspace address, will be an important factor in whether people find you or not. You will be asked to choose a URL for your page. You can not change it once it has been chosen so it is a good idea to spend a little time thinking about this.

You want your url to be something that represents you, your philosophy, your loves. You want it to be something that others may put in the search bar looking for likeminded people. For example, my other Myspace page is www.myspace.com/lovejoyabundance. This morning when I checked if you search abundance in the myspace search bar my page comes up number 4. Hmmmm... last week it was number 1. This is very cool because people searching for abundance are the exact people I am trying to attract.

A couple weeks ago at 10am on a Saturday morning I received a phone call. It was a woman who told me she had woken up feeling very depressed. She hadn't been to myspace in a while, but felt compelled to log in on that morning. She said she typed "abundance" in the search bar and my page was number one. She said she did this at 7am and had been on my page since then. She said she felt so much better looking at my pictures, reading my story and felt that she just needed to talk to me. We talked for about 30 minutes that day. By the end of the call I felt great, she felt great and we agreed we'd talk again soon.

That's the power of marketing YOURSELF at myspace. YOU are your product. You may have a business/product/service to offer people, but YOU are what is attracting people to you.

Just remember that today while you are choosing your URL. Here's today's video. It also includes choosing a layout and getting it in your page, and choosing your username. Enjoy.

Get those three things done today and tomorrow we will get your story done. By friday we will be moving to get some friend requests out and hopefully start meeting some people. :)


One more quick note on choosing your layout, that I forgot to mention in the video. Make sure you choose a layout where you can see all your text all the time. Sometimes there is a background image and when you scroll through that part you can't see your text. That's no good. You don't want people to have to struggle to read your story, or they will leave. I know I do. Make it easy to read with a clean, simple layout and you will do great. :)

Have an amazing day and we'll see ya tomorrow!

Jackie Lee :)

Technorati Tags:
, , , ,



No comments: